Sunday, March 7, 2010

Questions

In my book I didn’t understand why Kartik (one of the male characters) had to die. He died while saving the main character, Gemma. They were a young couple with a forbidden love. A sensible, rich brought up girl was she and a dirty, hardworking gypsy boy was he. I did not understand why the author would have them broken up, but when I think that Kartik died for her, it makes him a hero. If he hadn’t the book revolving around Woman’s independence and power would have been a little off. The author showed that Gemma could continue living without Kartik always being there for her. She defeated her fears and overcame obstacles with her own power. I think she was trying to do the whole ‘women don’t need men to protect them’ objective, and it worked!

I found that just everything that came up in the book kept me willing to read more. The right amount of love attraction, nail biting suspense and weird mystery. She evened it out there the book very well. She spun some fantasy and dream world imagination into the book. Gemma’s character was always being told what to do and how to act properly in company, so near the end of the book there was little respect for the people who were suppose to be ‘respected’. I liked it even more because Gemma was more like a rebellious teenager trying to find herself. I don’t really have any problems with how the book ended or was written.

My favourite character in this book would have to be Kartik. He is like the hunky, deep, stable boy that all the girls like. He gives his life for his love, Gemma. Kartik is a gypsy and at first he thinks Gemma is just another flimsy Spence girl, but near the end he believes he doesn’t deserve her. He is protective and really strong. At the beginning of the book you find him boastful and cocky but Gemma changes that side of him. Kartik has a brother that was killed and he doesn’t have any family. He doesn’t want to admit that he needs someone because he thinks it will make him weak. Kartik is just funny and makes the book so much better to read.

My favourite scene in this book was the final battle. It was when all the demons from Gemma’s Realm were transversing into reality. It held so much suspense and action that I couldn’t put the book down, even if it was late at night. The author would write it so the evil characters were almost victorious, but then the real triumph came. In the scene both sides were slowly losing numbers and you knew it was getting close to the end. There was magic, weapons, revengeful demons and brave humans all mixed into one finally ending. The good characters triumphed obviously and kicked some monster butt. I had to read a little shower than usual to make sure I didn’t miss anything because so much happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment